Bible Translation Consultant. The main roles of this ministry are to provide indigenous translation teams with guidance, encouragement, and technical help on translation-related issues. These roles include the following:
As teams of indigenous translators render the Bible into their own heart languages, Chris works with them to check their renderings verse-by-verse against the biblical languages for exegetical accuracy, communication effectiveness, naturalness, and consistency.
Throughout the checking process, Chris trains translation team members in exegetical and translation principles and methodology, and also in methods for testing translations.
When appropriate, Chris evaluates when translations are ready for publication and then he makes formal recommendations for publication.
When needed, Chris may teach translation training courses or lead workshops for teams of indigenous translators. My responsibilities may include preparing translation helps (such as written materials to help translators deal with biblical concepts that are difficult to translate).
- Please pray for every member of our family to thrive and to develop healthy and meaningful friendships in our place(s) of life and ministry.
- Please pray for God to knit our hearts together as a family.
- Please pray for the Lord to guide us as doors seem to be opening to expand our ministry into more areas of the world where Bible translation is still needed.
- Partnerships with our colleagues in ministry. We are working with indigenous groups in Mexico and other areas. Many of these dear people have had negative experiences with missionaries from the US and Europe. On top of that, it seems that centuries of colonialism have caused many sentiments of pain, disappointment, and betrayal to overcome. We have been blessed to make some good friendships here. Please pray that we can be part of the solution, part of the healing process that needs to take place here in Mexico.
- Spiritual warfare (health): Each time that our family does something directly engaged with Bible translation, we experience spiritual warfare. Often, this takes the form of some kind of illness in the family. Please pray for God’s protection and strengthening as we minister
Hebrews 5:7-9, 12:1-3
(adapted from NET)
5:7 During the time he was incarnate on earth,
Christ offered up both requests and supplications,
with loud cries and tears,
to the one who was able to save him from death;
and he was heard because of his devotion.
5:8 Although he was a son,
he learned obedience through the things he suffered.
5:9 And by being brought to full maturity in this way,
he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him…
12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses,
we must get rid of every weight and the sin that clings so closely to us,
and we must run with endurance the race set out for us,
12:2 keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus,
the pioneer of our faith, the one who brings our faith to maturity.
For the joy set out for him he endured the cross,
disregarding its shame,
and now he has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God.
12:3 Think of him who endured such opposition against himself by sinners,
so that you may not grow fatigued in your souls and quit the race.